Australian High Commission
New Zealand

Customs FAQ

Customs - Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to declare on my Incoming Passenger Card?

Generally speaking, the following must be declared:

  • Goods that may be prohibited or subject to restrictions, such as medicines, steroids, firearms, weapons of any kind and illicit drugs.
  • Any alcohol above the 2.25 litres limit.
  • Any tobacco products or cigars over the limit of 25 grams, or 25 cigarettes.
  • Overseas/ duty free goods with a combined total price of more than AU$900, including gifts.
  • Goods or samples for business or commercial use.
  • Currency of AU$10,000 or more.
  • Food of any kind, traditional medicines or herbs.
  • Plants, parts of plants, wooden articles, seeds, bulbs, straw, nuts and any animals or animal material.
  • Soil or articles with soil attached.

For more information on what the duty free limits are, visit the Australian Border Force Website.

What foodstuffs can I not take into Australia?

Foods that are prohibited unless accompanied by a valid Import Permit include beans, peas, cereal seeds, eggs, fresh fruit and vegetables, uncanned meat and all pork products, milk, popping corn, raw unroasted nuts, whole salmon and trout. Live animals, plants, biological materials, straw, raw wool, soil and sand are similarly prohibited. Pine cones, potpourri and straw objects must be treated and in some cases there may be a treatment cost.

All other foods including cakes, honey and seafood will be subject to inspection.

For specific guidance, you can find more information on the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment website. This website contains detailed information on the importation eligibility of thousands of different products.

What can I take into Australia if I'm moving there permanently?

If you are relocating your entire household, a professional packer or shipper will advise you of regulations. Generally no duties are payable on personal effects, though individuals should be aware of rules governing alcohol and items purchased in the 12 months prior to migrating. Wooden items, including furniture, will be inspected on arrival in Australia and may need to be treated.

Can I take my cat or dog into Australia?

Some breeds are ineligible for importation to Australia - a list is available at the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment website. Cats and dogs imported from New Zealand do not require an import permit, however conditions do apply. If all procedures are correctly followed there is normally no quarantine period. Full details are provided by the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment.


What do I need to do to take my car or motorbike into Australia?

Before importing any motor vehicle, including a disassembled or partly completed road motor vehicle, you should contact the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications.

A detailed guide to importating a car or motorbike is available on the Australian Border Force website. Information regarding the biosecurity aspects of importing a vehicle can be found on the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment Website.


Can I take medicinal products into Australia?

It is advisable to have a letter or a prescription from your doctor or practitioner describing the medication and your medical condition. Some medicinal products may require an import permit or quarantine clearance. See the information at the TGA website.