Australian High Commission
New Zealand

Visas and immigration

Australia has COVID-19 travel restrictions currently in place. As well as a visa, you may be required to obtain a travel exemption, depending on your circumstances. Information is available on the Home Affairs COVID-19 page.
Visit the Home Affairs website for further information regarding visas or citizenship. If you are unable to find the information you need on the Home Affairs website, telephone the Global Service Centre.


Visa Services

Visa applications are not accepted at the Australian High Commission, Wellington.

All visa and immigration services are undertaken at the Australian High Commission in Suva, Fiji. This applies to all clients in New Zealand, Cook Islands, Niue, Tokelau, and the Pitcairn Islands.

The fastest and easiest way to apply for most Australian visas or citizenship matters is online, through ImmiAccount.

In New Zealand, VFS Global operates Australian Visa Application Centres (AVACs) in Auckland, Christchurch, Dunedin, Queenstown and Wellington. Please visit the VFS Global website at: for further information on the services available

Please note:  There is no longer any requirement for your passport to be valid for six months after your travel. Your passport must be valid only for the period of your intended travel in and out of Australia.


Citizens of New Zealand

If you are a New Zealand citizen, do not have tuberculosis or a criminal conviction, you can live and work in Australia without applying for a visa in advance. You will be eligible for a Special Category Visa (subclass 444) which is granted on arrival when you travel on a valid New Zealand passport.

If you have questions regarding the Special Category Visa (Subclass 444) or applying for other visas, please see these Frequently Asked Questions.

Travelling with a Criminal Conviction -

Citizens of New Zealand (travelling as a permanent resident)

On arrival in Australia, New Zealand citizens who have been granted a permanent residence visa should tell Australian Border Force officers the following: 

  • that you have a permanent residence visa (for example 189 Skilled Independent visa)
  • that you do not want a Special Category visa (subclass 444)

If you don't tell them, you might be granted a subclass 444 visa. The grant of a subclass 444 visa might affect your eligibility for:

  • permanent residency (including any Government benefits), 
  • being eligible for a Resident Return Visa (RRV) 
  • Australian citizenship.

If you are issued with a new passport, please advise the Department of Home Affairs:

Citizens of other countries (in New Zealand)

If you are not a citizen of New Zealand, you must obtain a visa or travel authority before travelling to Australia. To work out what kind of visa you are eligible for visit - Find a Visa

For further information about visa fees, please see

Most people will need to provide their biometrics (fingerprints & facial images) when applying for a visa. For information on biometric collections please visit the VFS Global website


Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) and visa options

We are trialling a mobile app (AustralianETA) for certain passport holders to apply for an ETA while the travel restrictions are in place. You can download AustralianETA for free from the App Store (Apple) or Google Play store (Android).

This new ETA service can only be used if:

  • you meet all ETA eligibility requirements, and
  • you hold a passport from Brunei, Canada, Hong Kong (SAR of China), Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, or the United States of America.

An ETA does not allow you to work in Australia, or to stay longer than three months.

A non-refundable service fee of AUD20 applies to this service.

Travellers not included in the AustralianETA trial can apply for a visa online at ImmiAccount

  • European passport holders might be eligible for an eVisitor (subclass 651) visa. There is no Visa Application Charge (VAC) or service fee for an eVisitor visa application.
  • Other passport holders might be eligible for a Visitor (subclass 600) visa.

If you are granted an ETA, eVisitor or Visitor visa, this does not mean you have been considered for or granted an exemption from Covid-19 travel restrictions to travel to Australia. You need to apply for a travel exemption and provide evidence to support your claims, unless you are travelling within the Safe Travel Zone.

Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) referrals

After you have applied for an ETA, you should wait for written notification which will be sent by email. In most cases, you will be notified of the result of your ETA application immediately, although sometimes there may be a delay.

You should not confirm your travel arrangements until you have been granted your ETA.

If you have been notified that your ETA cannot be processed or approved without further information, you can:

European passport holders might be eligible for an eVisitor (subclass 651). There is no service charge for an eVisitor. You can apply online for an eVisitor through ImmiAccount.



If you have not yet received your ETA notification, check your emails (including your junk mail folder). Notifications can take up to 12 hours after applying. You can also confirm if your application has been approved by checking your visa status through the AustralianETA app or by using the Check an ETA function.


Please do not call or approach the Australian High Commission in person regarding your ETA application.


Contact Us

If you have read this information and still need help, you can contact the Visa Office at the Australian High Commission in Suva here: Contact us


Beware of Visa Scams
To avoid being scammed, you can check the Register of Migration Agents on the OMARA website, to receive the protections of an OMARA registered Migration Agent. There are Australian registered migration agents working all around the world in countries such as India, the United Kingdom, China, and New Zealand, just to name a few. These agents are subject to the same Code of Conduct, professional development and regulations as registered migration agents based in Australia. More information about Australia’s efforts to ensure the integrity of the migration advice profession is available at: