Policy and Research Officer
Annual salary NZ$62,340 – $67,476 plus KiwiSaver employer contribution equivalent to 6% of salary.
Due to the security requirements of the position applications will only be accepted from citizens of New Zealand, Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States of America. Permanent residents of these countries are not eligible to apply. Evidence of citizenship is required at time of application.
The Australian High Commission is seeking applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the role of Policy and Research Officer. The position offers the successful candidate the opportunity to understand and report on developments in New Zealand and the Pacific to inform the Australian Government. As part of the High Commission’s Political, Trade and Economic Section, the position produces written reports, research, and administrative support a range of political, trade/economic, social, security, public diplomacy and international issues and policies. The successful candidate will accompany senior diplomats to official meetings and events and will also provide support for visiting Australian ministers and senior officials as required.
The key responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Provide research and analysis on relevant topics, including New Zealand's and the Pacific’s domestic political, trade/economic, social, climate change, health, security, immigration and international policy and positions.
- Assist with preparing a range of correspondence on key issues, including reports, talking points and summaries.
- Develop and maintain a broad understanding of Australia’s interests in New Zealand.
- Manage, maintain, and strengthen relationships with internal and external stakeholders including government institutions and universities.
- Coordinate logistics, assist with draft programs and contribute to program development for ministerial and official visits, including making appointments with high-level officials and providing advice on meetings and events.
- Assist with public diplomacy events and functions including coordinating stakeholders, speakers, and other logistical arrangements such as guest lists, catering, entertainment, and technical support.
- Perform other duties and back up as required.
- Experience, or interest in, providing research assistance and producing logical and succinct reports on issues relating to New Zealand’s economic, foreign and trade policies.
- Experience, or interest in, working in an international environment and a sound understanding of New Zealand’s political, trade and economic environment and Australia’s interests in New Zealand.
- Ability to provide effective liaison, visit and event support by demonstrating requisite skills in stakeholder management, time management, prioritisation of tasks, attention to detail and meeting deadlines.
- High degree of computer literacy in social media, preferably in a professional context, and Microsoft software, particularly Word, Excel and Access and experience using these tools to provide written reports, media summaries or correspondence.
- Cultural networking skills or mātauranga Māori highly desirable.
What we offer the successful candidate
- Annual salary NZ $62,340 – $67,476 plus KiwiSaver employer contribution equivalent to 6% of salary
- Performance rewards
- Full time hours – 37.5 hours per week
- Complimentary use of staff gym, squash court and comprehensive leave entitlements
- Occasional travel within New Zealand
- A great team environment, providing skill development and valuable experience for a career in Public Policy.
How to Apply
Please visit our webpage at http://www.newzealand.highcommission.gov.au for the job description and information regarding application requirements.
Applications including a one-page pitch addressing the job capabilities, CV, and proof of New Zealand, Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom, or the United States of America citizenship, should be emailed to [email protected].
A merit list will be created and used for future vacancies.
Applications close NZT 10am Thursday 11 August 2022.